Monday, January 12, 2009

The delectation of pontificating linguistic form in order to loom alert is diverting to me.

In layman's* terms: The joy of using big words in order to appear smart is fun for me.

For all of the other times that a "big word" doesn't come to mind, I'm just going to make a point and then follow up with. "I'm surprised you didn't know that."

* layman's terms (not to be confused with Laman from the Book of Mormon. Which for a long time I used to think that's what it referred to. We're not rewording things into a way that Laman would say them.) is the intelligent way of saying "dumb it down". Which it actually is a contradictory phrase. If people don't actually know what "put it in layman's terms" means (which a lot don't), then the meaning of the phrase defeats its purpose. See what I'm saying?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I...uh...what's that word....you know...um.....agree!

Allen Family said...

"Laman's Terms"--that is the FUNNIEST thing I've heard all year! The whole 2 weeks of it. :-)

Tug said...

Did you use a thesaurus? If not, I'm borderline impressed. :]